This recipe creates a yummy sauce on the bottom that is too good for words. I triple the recipe for my family and bake in a 9×11 pan. We enjoy this recipe all summer long with different fruits as they come into season. I love strawberries, but peaches are my favorite! I have to give credit for the recipe to a friend who shared it with me almost 20 years ago!
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Water
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Cup flour
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Tablespoons Butter (softened)
- ½ Cup Milk
- Bring the first three ingredients to a boil. ( I always add the vanilla after the sugar melts.) Transfer to your baking dish.
- As the water comes to a boil mix the remaining ingredients. I always mix the dry ingredients before I add the butter and milk. Use room temperature softened butter. I tried softening it in the microwave one time and the results were OK, but not as good as usual.
- Drop the dough mixture by spoonful into the water mixture.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 25-30 minutes. If using a small pan, start checking at 20 minutes. It should be a beautiful light/golden brown with just a few cracks on the top. I’ve used glass pans, metal pans, and stoneware to bake this shortcake and it comes out delicious every time! Enjoy!