Purchase a neck pumpkin, like the one featured in the photo.
- Place the pumpkin in a 13 x 9 baking dish or on a big flat sheet, but be sure there is a lip around the edge. It will leak some juice onto the pan as it cooks!
- Bake at 375 degrees until it is soft like a baked potato.
- Time will vary depending on the size of your neck pumpkin.
- The ball of the pumpkin is discarded and only the neck of the pumpkin is used.
- Remove the skin, it should pull off easily after cooked.
- Place chunks of the pumpkin in your blender and puree.
This is what you will use for the recipe below.
If you want to cheat, you can purchase canned pumpkin, but it won’t be like moms!
This recipe yields two 9” pies.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups pumpkin
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients above
- Pour into two 9” pie crusts (made from your favorite recipe or store bought)
- Sprinkle top with additional cinnamon
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes and then at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
This is the BEST pumpkin pie!